We recently drove upto South Lake Tahoe to spend Anush’s birthday weekend with some of our close friends. It was our first time to Lake Tahoe and undoubtedly we fell in love with the beauty of this place. Snow capped mountains, pine trees, crystal clear lake waters and stunning views for days, no wonder Tahoe is such a popular vacation spot. It has so much to offer in every season. In the summer it is ideal for water sports, hiking or chilling at the beach and come winter it turns into one of California’s best ski destinations .
The weather was glorious during the day, and I wore this pretty floral tank from Band of Gypsies over a pair of crochet shorts for a day of exploring.
This outfit was easy enough to wear over my Maaji swimwear bikini while at the beach. I love the beautiful pattern on this suit and the sporty fit, a great option if you are trying your hand at any water sports.
In the evening as it got a little chilly I threw on some additional layers like – my fave California sweatshirt + denim jacket over this outfit to keep myself a little warmer.
Top – c/o Band of Gypsies
Shorts – c/o Surf Gypsy
Swimsuit – Maaji swimwear via Palapa Lounge Beachwear (available online here – Top and Bottom)
Bracelets – c/o Off Beat Btq and Boho betty
Sweatshirt – Chaser Brand
Denim Jacket – H&M
Sandals – c/o IX sandals
Here’s a quick travel guide for a summer weekend getaway to Tahoe :
Where to stay :
We rented a cozy airbnb cabin close to Heavenly as we were a large group. Most vacation cabins here are beautiful and are ideal for large groups. You can also choose to stay at any of the amazing hotels at Lake Tahoe if you prefer to stay at a hotel over an airbnb. There are tons of budget friendly options if you look on Tripadvisor, but if you are looking to go all out luxury then check out the Ritz; I definitely have my eyes set on this one for the next time!
What to do :
Since our time was limited, we wanted to hit a few of the main spots mostly by driving. If you have the time, I would highly recommend hiking one of the well known trails to soak in the natural beauty this place has to offer. Sadly it also rained during our stay so the one hike we had planned to go on had to be cancelled due to the weather. Some of my fave spots were :
- Sand Harbor Beach – Sand Harbor is on the Nevada side of the lake and is one of the best places to go paddle boarding and kayaking. The water is crystal clear (you can see upto 70 ft deep – I mean that clear!) and turquoise in color even when its overcast! I am sure in the sunshine it looks even prettier, especially with that unbeatable backdrop of the beautiful mountains.
- Hiking the Flume Trail – This was the hike that had to be cancelled last minute due to the weather, but next time this is certainly on my itinerary. From what I have read this is a beautiful trail to hike or go biking on, and it offers several gorgeous views of the water and mountains. A very popular pitstop is Monkey Rock which makes for a great photo opp!
- Sunset at Emerald Bay – Although we couldn’t catch the true sunset colors the day we went to Emerald Bay as it was so overcast, the views were just as phenomenal! A must-do pitstop on the way is Eagle Falls where you get to see the falls from the very top! I must admit it was scary, but the magnificent view definitely put me at ease. Word of caution though – make sure to not venture out too far , as the rocks can be quite slippery.
- DL Bliss State park – We went here the next day. This park has a beautiful peaceful beach and the Rubicon trail also starts here. We went for a short distance on it and the views were just amazing!
- Fallen Leaf Lake – A few of our friends from the group went here and said that it was a great spot to go kayaking.
Where to eat :
A few faves eeeeats from our Tahoe weekend :
- Base Camp pizza – delicious pizzas! With over 2000 yelp reviews and a 4.5 star rating you really cant go wrong here.
- Driftwood cafe – old school diner for brunch.
- Sno flake drive in – yummy burgers and milkshakes. My friend got the PB milkshake here and holy yum was it good!
- A cup of cherries – really good coffee + breakfast spot.
- Keys cafe – my fave for their smoothies. Also known for their sandwiches.
Thanks for stopping by! xoxo
2 thoughts on “Summer Weekend getaway to Tahoe”
Love your California sweatshirt! You look so cute!
great options for our TG weekend!